Legendary illustrator from Zap Comix, Trashman, and locally produced Deepest Dimension Terror Anthology
Just got the news that legendary Zap Comix co-founder Spain Rodriguez has passed away. He and Robert Crumb were among the earliest underground comic superstars - among my most prized possessions is the original art pages for a complete Trashman story from Subvert Comix #2.
Spain did a lot of artwork for the Reader back in the 70s and 80s, returning to do several covers in the 90s - I'll seek those and post a few shortly.
Meanwhile, here's a complete story Spain drew for the locally-published horror comic series, Deepest Dimension Terror Anthology, scripted by yours truly and based on a story by original Twilight Zone and Logan's Run writer George Clayton Johnson --- working with Spain was one of the biggest thrills of my professional career. He was a great and talented guy who'll be sorely missed -
More like this:
- What's YOUR Favorite Twilight Zone? — March 2, 2010
- 50 Musicians Answer “Lennon Or McCartney?” “What’s Your Fave Twilight Zone?” & “What’s Your Band Name Mean?” – plus, the Inside Story of a Local Twilight Zone Spin-Off Comic Book — June 19, 2008
- Painting Rock Stars, plus Behind the Scenes: Overheard in San Diego & Famous Former Neighbors — May 8, 2008
- 25 Local Musicians Reveal “My Favorite Twilight Zone,” plus Local-Produced Zone Comic Books — April 3, 2008
- "What's Your Favorite Twilight Zone?" 25 Local Musicos Talk Twilight, plus ShatFest — Dec. 18, 2007