Calexico, CA citizen arrested in possession of heroin and methamphetamine hidden in vehicles muffler
United States Customs and Border Protection officers arrested a California woman, at the Calexico downtown port of entry, in possession of a substantial amount of hard drugs. According to CBP officials, the arrest and seizure occurred on June 12, around 12:30pm. A drug dog found packages hidden in the vehicles muffler, which had a total weight of 23 pounds. Methamphetamine and heroin were found in the packages.
The driver was identified as a 24 year old female resident of Calexico, CA. The suspect is being held at the Imperial County jail to face possible smuggling charges.
A March 2013 study, by the Center for Investigative Reporting, stated that 80 percent of documented drug smuggling attempts from Mexico involve a U.S. citizen. The study also gave statistics showing that U.S. citizens are becoming more involved with drug trafficking from Mexico in recent years.
More like this:
- Calexico border agents seize cash headed for Mexico, meth headed for U.S. — Sept. 5, 2013
- Border agents make big seizure at Otay Mesa — Aug. 27, 2013
- Large drug seizures on both sides of border — Aug. 5, 2013
- 21 Arrested with Narcotics in Mexicali — March 4, 2012
- Border News Translations: $1 Million in Drugs Seized; 28 Migrants Caught; 32 Police Want Compensation — April 23, 2011