One prisoner went to hospital, no deputies injured
There was a fight between inmates at the Chula Vista detention facility last night, which resulted in one prisoner being sent to hospital, it was reported by the San Diego County Sheriff this morning.
A little after 9 o’clock last night “a fight broke out between multiple inmates housed at the South Bay Detention Facility,” according to Sergeant Paul LaChappell, early the next morning, February 28, 2013.
The fight was between fifteen to twenty inmates and was “possibly racially motivated,” according to a well-placed source who asked not to be named.
“The inmates ignored numerous commands to stop fighting and to return to their housing cells” and “deputies had to use less lethal force to stop the fight,” Sgt. LaChappell stated.
Inmates were ordered back to their own cells by use of a “lock-down bell” issued over loudspeaker, and the fracas was subdued in less than an hour, according to the anonymous source.
After order was restored, deputies “evaluated inmates for injuries” and one prisoner was taken to the emergency room at U.C.S.D. hospital in Hillcrest, according to Sgt. LaChappell.
No deputies were injured during the incident, Sgt. LaChappell stated.
More like this:
- County sued for ignoring jumper's history — Oct. 9, 2015
- Encinitas man gets State prison for spitting on officer — May 18, 2013
- San Marcos man charged w attempted murder for alleged car-ramming — Feb. 3, 2013
- Man who rescued domestic violence victim was rammed by car — Jan. 22, 2013
- Lakeside Woman Arrested After Fight, SUV Used as Attempted Murder Weapon — June 7, 2012