Drug arrests occurred throughout the city of Mexicali Saturday. 21 people were apprehended with either marijuana or methamphetamine. The ages of the suspects range from 15 to 73 years old. It is uncertain which suspects planned to smuggle the narcotics and which were local users or dealers. Most of the suspects were carrying smaller amounts, while 6 were carrying larger loads likely for smuggling.
Mexicali is a prime smuggling route of narcotics into the United States. Police pressure on both sides of the border of Tijuana have forced many traffickers to use the Mexicali area more prominently.
“Crystal” methamphetamine, which was found in 12 of the arrests, is largely produced in the western state of Sinaloa in Mexico. As the Sinaloa Cartel now uses much of the Baja smuggling routes, the apprehensions of “crystal” has risen.
Last Monday U.S. Border Customs and Protection officers at the downtown Calexico port of entry found 5 pounds of methamphetamine in the vehicle of a Mexicali man. A drug dog detected the narcotics in the vehicles oil pan. http://media.sdreader.com/img/blogs/entry_img/2012/Mar/04/crystal_meth_1.jpg" />
More like this:
- Two ultra-light drug smuggling aircrafts seized in Baja — July 17, 2013
- California woman busted with 23 pounds of narcotics at Calexico port of entry — June 18, 2013
- New narco-tunnel discovered in Mexicali — Jan. 5, 2013
- Tequila bottle meth bust in Tijuana — Dec. 30, 2012
- Raids Net Over a Ton of Drugs, Plane, & Arrests — April 10, 2012