Academy of Our Lady of Peace
Historical Name: Academy of Our Lady of Peace
Villa Montemar (“House on a Hill by the Sea”)
Founding Date: May 10, 1882
Sponsorship: Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet (CSJ)
The Congregation was founded in Le Puy, France, in 1650; it was refounded as a United States Congregation in Carondelet, Missouri, in 1836.
The sponsorship of the Sisters of St Joseph of Carondelet guides and contributes to all aspects of campus life. Central to this spiritual and philosophical foundation are the school’s: dedication to “excellence tempered by gentleness, peace and joy”; focus on service to the “dear neighbor”; commitment to the furthering of social justice in our world; development of a Peace Education curriculum; and the cultivation of leadership skills.