Jeffrey Barton spoke to a judge this morning, August 7, complaining and denying for more than 30 minutes, before he was sentenced to 48 years in prison for molesting a boy in his care.
“This entire investigation is a witch hunt for money,” claimed the former Head of Schools at the Army and Navy Academy in Carlsbad, California. Barton worked at the academy almost 20 years.
Barton referred to a civil lawsuit against the boys’ military academy, which is currently working its way through the court system, that case is set for trial in March 2018. Plaintiffs’ attorneys are asking for as much as $24 million in damages for two alleged molest victims.
Barton, 59, has been held in custody in San Diego County since October of 2013. He was originally accused of molesting six boys who had been under his authority. Former students who knew Barton from three different schools across the United States, across a span of 30 years, made accusations. At the end of his first trial, Barton was acquitted of some charges but the jury could not come to conclusion on others. His second jury trial ended two months ago, in June 2017, at that time Barton was found guilty of six molest charges.
The second jury was able to come to unanimous decision only after one hold-out juror was finally dismissed by the judge, for failing to deliberate. Today, convicted molester Barton told the judge it was “scary” that “a juror was tossed.”
Today judge Harry Elias sentenced Barton to the maximum time allowed under law, 48 years, eight years for each of the six guilty counts. The judge declared the years are to be served consecutively, no parole.
“I have been assaulted more than once here,” Barton complained when he spoke before sentencing. Barton referred to the four years he was held in local jail while he awaited justice. In court today, he wondered aloud what might happen after he is sent to prison.
When he was speaking to the court before sentencing, Barton turned in his seat and tried to speak to certain persons who were seated in the gallery to hear his sentencing, but his defense attorney corrected him and Barton turned back to address the judge, which is proper protocol.
At one point, Barton held out some pages in his hand and told the judge that he had written letters to three different people, and Barton wanted the judge to assure him the letters would be delivered. Judge Elias responded that he was confident Barton’s attorney would do what is “legally appropriate.” Abusers are commonly prevented from contacting their victims.
Barton accused the female prosecutor, Patricia Lavermicocca, of “histrionics” during trial.
Barton claimed that his alleged victims lied, and he gave details in his own versions of certain “outings” during which he reportedly abused boys. Barton claimed that the alleged victims who came to give testimony “turned on the emotions” while they were in the witness box, in front of the jury. All of his alleged victims are now adults.
Barton never testified in his own defense.
Defense attorney Sherry Stone asked the judge for the minimum sentence for Barton. “He has no prior record,” she pointed out. “Jeffrey Barton did contribute to society, and the schools he taught at.” The defender said, “Jeffrey Barton contributed in a beneficial manner to the student body.” Defense asserted that the victims were willing participants in the sex acts.
Honorable Harry Elias heard both trials in San Diego’s North County Superior Court in Vista, California.