Pointless Labor

With regard to your April 14 edition and Don Bauder’s article on redevelopment funds for all the churches in the poorer neighborhoods (“They Prey, We Pray,” “City Lights”), what difference does it make? On page 3, under “Stringers,” there’s an article called “When Will This End?!” and it talks about a Christian declaring the end of the universe on May 21.

Ted Rodosovich
University City

Pray For Sanity

Once again, Don Bauder highlights the vulturelike tactics of our City officials in the April 14 article “They Prey, We Pray” (“City Lights”). Jerry Brown has the Republican good old boys scrambling by eliminating the misdirected development money. Where will they find welfare funds for their future projects?

Their last venture was the $185 million downtown library. This library will serve less than 3 percent of the San Diego population, while the neighborhood libraries will be reducing their hours of operation to two days per week for the remaining 97 percent. Also note that $20 million was funded by the San Diego school district when there already is a high school that serves the downtown area — San Diego High.

At this time, the $185 million downtown library is still underfunded by the original $30 million. How will the San Diego school district come up with $20 million when it’s currently preparing to lay off teachers and shut down existing schools? At this time, the library is likely underfunded by $50 million or more.

Jerry Brown is correct to stop the abuse of redevelopment funds based upon San Diego politics. While you are praying, please think about Jerry Sanders and the rest of the people who supported the downtown library and reflect on these thoughts the next time you vote.

Ronald Harris
via email

Our Organ, Rain Or Shine

Thank you, Garrett Harris, for the great story regarding the Spreckels Pipe Organ in San Diego’s Balboa Park (“Immortal Beauty,”). However, you have several facts wrong. Sunday 2:00 p.m. concerts are held 52 weeks per year, rain or shine, and have been for almost 100 years. The concert series starting June 20 is the Spreckels Organ Society’s summer festival, where the best organists in the world appear. The opening concert will be June 20, 7:30 p.m., when civic organist Dr. Carol Williams plays with bagpipers, trumpeters, and a children’s choir. They will run every Monday evening through August 29. Check out the full schedule at sosorgan.org for more information. As usual, all concerts are free.

Ralph Fear
via email

Come Back Next Week

Oh, no! I’m at Elijah’s Deli after seeing Jane Eyre with friends, I grab my Reader, telling them how I turn to John Brizzolara’s column first, and — where is it? Sure, I’ll read the other pieces and enjoy them, but I hope you’ll be back next week, J.B.

Julie Randolph
via email

Share / Tools

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • AddThis
  • Email

More from SDReader


Log in to comment

Skip Ad

Let’s Be Friends

Subscribe for local event alerts, concerts tickets, promotions and more from the San Diego Reader