Everything's Gone

Shortly after 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday, February 24, Teri emerged from the shower and thought she smelled burnt toast. Hearing strange sounds coming from Mark's room, she opened his door to investigate and found it filled with smoke. She yelled to her sister, "Call 911 — the house is on fire!" They ran outside as the house quickly filled with smoke. "It went so fast. It only took about ten seconds."

Teri and her sister rent a room from Mark, the elderly gentleman who owns the house on Kenwood Drive. When asked if she knew how it happened, Teri replied, "I'm not sure what caused it, but it started in Mark's room. He's not even home right now. He's in the hospital, thank God. We would have had a hard time trying to carry him out."

Pausing to consider what could have been the outcome, she stated, "I guess God does work in mysterious ways." No one was hurt, but "everything's gone."

The Red Cross will help with temporary housing. No other structures were damaged.

Share / Tools

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • AddThis
  • Email

More from SDReader


Log in to comment

Skip Ad

SD Reader Newsletters

Join our newsletter list and enter to win a $25 gift card to The Broken Yolk Cafe!

Each subscription means another chance to win!