Oral arguments to be heard Friday
Superior Court Judge Timothy Taylor today (March 21) turned down the request of the Tourism Marketing District (TMD) to force Mayor Bob Filner to sign an operating agreement that would provide $30 million annually for tourism promotion from a 2% surcharge on hotel rooms. Former Mayor Jerry Sanders had failed to sign the agreement before leaving office, and Filner wants some changes. For example, noticing that one TMD official rakes in $454,000 annually, Filner wants to draw a salary line at $160,000. He also wants $5 million set aside for the 2015 Balboa Park centennial shindig.
More like this:
- Filner rips hotel moguls as secret 8 a.m. lawsuit session looms tomorrow — May 30, 2013
- Council President Todd Gloria once served as a board member for the Tourism Authority — March 28, 2013
- TMD consultant and his firm has collected nearly $550,000 in TMD revenues since 2008 — March 27, 2013
- TMD puts 2014 funding requests on indefinite hold — March 8, 2013
- City council hears Tourism Marketing District comments as union hotel workers unveil a new lawsuit — Feb. 25, 2013