Newly elected state Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez announced yesterday (June 5) that she’ll be taking labor industry cohort Evan McLaughlin to Sacramento with her as chief of staff and installing seasoned local politico Humberto Peraza as her local district director.
McLaughlin leaves his post as political and legislative director at the San Diego and Imperial Counties Labor Council for the new job, where Gonzalez served as secretary-treasurer and also as the public face of the labor union collective until her election. He also served as Gonzalez’s campaign manager during her Assembly run, and spent several years in the mid-2000s writing about politics and government at the Voice of San Diego.
Peraza is the president of the Southwestern College District Governing Board, and has worked under numerous Democratic politicians including city councilman Ben Hueso (who went on to the California Assembly and then the state Senate – Gonzalez fills his vacated Assembly post), Congressman (now San Diego Mayor) Bob Filner, U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer, and Congressman Xavier Becerra (of California’s 34th district in central Los Angeles).
“My goal to rebuild the middle class through the creation of good-paying jobs, expanded educational opportunities and access to affordable health care is going to take a real team effort,” said Gonzalez in a release distributed by McLaughlin. “With the addition of Evan, Humberto and the staff they will supervise, the residents of the 80th district have the team they need to best represent Southern San Diego County in the State Capitol.”
More like this:
- Southwestern College Foundation's Nathan Fletcher connection — Sept. 23, 2013
- Lorena Gonzalez rakes in more than $160,000 in campaign contributions in five month span — April 19, 2013
- Democrats Castaneda, Gonzalez certified as ballot candidates for 80th district state assembly special election — April 3, 2013
- Gonzalez fundraising tops $100K in less than a month — Jan. 8, 2013
- Gonzalez seeks Assembly seat — Dec. 6, 2012