Mayor and City Attorney agree to draft a new zoning law allowing medical marijuana and present it to city council
It appears as if the City's fight, and the lawsuits, against medical marijuana dispensary owners is back on.
Today, Mayor Bob Filner met with City Attorney Jan Goldsmith and city councilmembers to discuss the fate of the cases after the Mayor announced earlier this month that he and the City will ease enforcement on medical marijuana dispensaries.
But in a joint statement after the closed session meeting, it appears as if the Mayor is the one backtracking.
Filner's office released a statement announcing that the City Attorney will not drop the lawsuits, nor will the City call off enforcement of current code.
Instead, reads the statement, Filner and Goldsmith will present a new zoning ordinance to the City Council at an upcoming meeting.
“I will be working very hard in the next 30 days to bring an ordinance to the City Council that ensures that the zoning law allows for reasonable regulation of medical marijuana dispensaries in the City of San Diego. As I’ve said before, I want those who legitimately need medical marijuana for the relief of pain to have access to it legally. That is the compassionate thing to do,” stated Filner.
Goldsmith seemed happy with the result, especially considering just two weeks ago the City Attorney warned lawyers for medical marijuana dispensary owners against pursuing any further legal action. “I appreciate the Mayor’s leadership in moving the City toward a solution on medical marijuana dispensaries," stated Goldsmith. "Our office looks forward to working with the Mayor and City Council on an ordinance. In the meantime, we will maintain the status quo through enforcement of current laws.”
More like this:
- New proposal from Mayor's Office opens commercial areas to medical marijuana dispensaries — Feb. 20, 2013
- Mayor Filner to impatient pot proponents: "Quit harshing my mellow." — Jan. 30, 2013
- Council and City Attorney to meet behind closed doors to discuss Medical Marijuana lawsuits — Jan. 24, 2013
- City Attorney accuses lawyers for Medical Marijuana patients of playing hardball with City — Jan. 18, 2013
- Filner ends pot dispensary crackdown; U.S. Attorney Duffy yet to respond — Jan. 10, 2013