U.S. Attorney has made seven similar arrests since February
Song Shen Zhen of Calexico has been charged with smuggling swim bladders of the endangered Totoaba across the border. Zhen became the seventh person charged by the U.S. Attorney's office for such an offense since February. Swim bladders of Totoaba are used in Chinese soups and considered a delicacy. But Totoaba is federally protected in both the U.S. and Mexico, so transporting them is illegal. The federal government found $3.6 million worth of the swim bladders at Zhen's house.
More like this:
- Bladder smuggler — Aug. 11, 2014
- Sacramento resident pleads guilty to smuggling endangered fish here — June 20, 2013
- Arms Trial of Coronado-Based SEAL Opens in Las Vegas — Sept. 21, 2011
- Panda Fingered in Zoo Arson Case — July 12, 2011
- Two Belgians Indicted for Smuggling Aircraft Parts to Iran — May 17, 2011