For forty years, people have been trekking here for the steak-avo-cheese sandwich
Oh man. This steak of Alfredo's is da bomb. Has avocado, pepper jack, and a raft of sautéed onions.
I'm in lunch heaven...
...Got vinegar on the fries, and Lori pouring endless refills in my $2 cawfee, and even though they're closing at two - like, now - she says "Don't hurry, hon. We've got plenty of cleaning up to do."
This is the Food Factory (7914 Broadway, Lemon Grove, 619-462-1919).
It's a little diner with red booths and a long counter.
Just the right size. Place has been going 40 years, as of January.
"Secret's the good top sirloin they use," says Alfredo the cook. "It's always tender."
Top sirloin must be the secret. This is squelchy, cheesy, avocadoey, tender, in a crisp bun.
And Bob and Lori Bailey...
...have been running it, behind this intimate little counter, with its kitchen right here, for every one of these forty years. Started at age 23.
"Back then," says Bob, "a burger cost 40 cents."
My California steak, with fries, cost me $7.75.
More in upcoming Tin Fork.
More like this:
- Asia Wok, where it’s OK to pile your plate as high as you want — July 11, 2013
- Rosarito-Ensenada Bike Ride — May 6, 2013
- Go tell it on the mountain: a pictorial history of the Paramount logo — May 6, 2013
- My funky valentines — Feb. 14, 2013
- Lincoln Park: Red Rooster’s got catfish, if you can find it — Feb. 1, 2013