Chalk another one up to Hollywood Synchronicity - you know, the force that brought us Deep Impact and Armageddon, Dante's Peak and Volcano, etc. Cuz here come two films starring weirdly ageless A-listers (Tom Cruise and Will Smith) about space dudes returning to Earth at some future date and finding a whole mess of trouble when they do. It ain't quite Planet of the Apes, but it's something. And there's a certain degree to which it's the same thing.
Folks plummet to the surface from high above it:
They see animals:
They get shot at by spaceship thingies:
They have spaceship troubles:
They get eyeball-tight closeups:
They brandish weapons:
They enter dark places:
They even touch plants:
Yes, yes, this is much more a noting of similar camera work than it is a laying out of similar plotlines, since Oblivion looks a lot like Wall-E and After Earth looks more like Avatar. But still.
More like this:
- Oblivion: symbolism is fun! — April 19, 2013
- A closer look at Megan Fox's bosom - er, This is 40 — Dec. 21, 2012
- Well, of course Ricky Gervais is in talks to star in the next Muppet movie — Dec. 17, 2012
- An even closer look at the trailer for Oblivion — Dec. 12, 2012
- A closer look at the trailer for Man of Steel — Dec. 12, 2012